Irvine bridge on David St.
The first bridge over Irvine creek at this point was built in 1848.
It was made of beams from tall elm trees. It was the first cantilever
bridge in America. The cost of the bridge was $400!
In 1859 this bridge was replaced by a timber truss bridge at a
cost of $1360. In 1867 a pier was built under the bridge. The pier
was 10' x 22' at the base tapering to 4' x 8' at the top and it had
a height of 72 feet. The cost of the pier was $1385.
In 1875 another bridge was built, using the same pier
for support. Yet another bridge was built in 1921, still using
the original pier.
The present bridge is only a few years old, but the pier that holds
it up is the original pier, unchanged from 1867, except for the
extension on top.